Monday, December 31, 2007

Authority

I once wrote a blog titled "The Living Word", in which I talked about the Bible and how the words never change, but what I get out of those words changes almost every time I read them. The Bible is God's written word and has all authority. What the Bible tells me is what I need to live by. because this is God telling me what to do. Now God being the creator of all that we know, and above everything tells me what to do I need to listen. Also when it says what not to do I should listen. I would think that this is a basic belief for all Christians. Especially when this same book tells me what the result of not listening is.

I was having a conversation with someone not too long ago and I'm not sure how but the conversation(like it usually does with me) ended up being a spiritual discussion. One of the things that the other party said really got to me. "I don't really agree with some of the things that the bible says". What? I can understand not accepting everything that I, or any one person says, but the Bible? I don't always agree with what my pastor says or does, what my father says or does, but I will always go back to check out what the Bible says about it so I know where to put my beliefs. So, one person no, but the Bible yes. I don't care who you are or how long you have been alive, if the bible says something different then I have no choice but to go with that. I know that the Bible is God's word, I know that everything that He wants me to know He will tell me through it. So when someone tells me that they don't agree with some of what the Bible says I say then how do you believe any of what it says?

We have been given this incredible "gift" if you will of free will. God gave us the power to choose. He also gave us the Bible so that we know what to choose. We know what is right and what is wrong, we know what the results of our choices are and we know eventually we will have to accept the reward or consequence of our actions. We choose to believe or not to believe or I guess what we believe. But I tell you that I believe in Christ resurrected. I believe in God incarnate coming to die so we don't have to . I believe that "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God and He was with God in the beginning." I also believe that the words that were given to us so graciously by God so that we could be eternally with Him in Paradise namely the Bible has all authority over my life, and that I shouldn't make a choice no matter how big or how small without consulting God through prayer and the Bible. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments: