Monday, May 11, 2009

Where We Go

In the face of danger we have this natural instinct to go and hide. When a hurricane comes we board up our windows, and take shelter. Those of us here in New Orleans, pack up and leave. We flee in order to keep safe. The same thing happens when we are challenged. The natural reaction is to back down, to submit to your normal ways, and not move forward. This is the natural way, however most of us have come to accept challenge and move forward to face these challenges. Sometimes when we chose to face the challenge we come victorious, and others we fail. Natural reaction would be to give up, not continue to try, just move on to the next. Some however have come to the place where they can continue on until they arise victorious and have defeated that challenge. Most people shy away from change as well, we don't want to go outside of our comfort zone, and comfort is more often than not the same thing that everyone around us is doing. If we do as others do, we fit in, skate through life un-noticed and don't stand out. We can move through and be accepted by one group or another. A fad can soon become reality, and your new way of life. Some people don't grow out of different stages in their life, they find comfort and come to believe that this is the only way. Where do we go? We go wherever life is comfortable, and convenient. How many people do you know have taken on a way of life, or a philosophy and chose to take it as their defining thought process? They find something that fits their personality, and take it on as their way of living. Trying to show this person that they are wrong is useless sometimes, because they have been sold out to the idea that their comfort is what is most important. How many times have you heard someone say, "I don't know, it just feels right."? It just feels right! Since when did the thing that "feels right" become the right thing. How often is the thing that "feels right" in all actuality wrong? I would have to say pretty often, at least in my life. I have come to see that more often than not the things that feel right are the things that I know are wrong. I don't know about you, but if it comes natural to me then I know that I need to evaluate that and see what is at the center of that feeling. To often people walk away from what they know the bible says because they don't agree with it, or because they aren't comfortable with the way it makes them feel. If you are one of those people who aren't comfortable with the way the bible makes you feel. GOOD! Keep reading it, that feeling is what is going to probably save your life. Jesus was full of teachings that didn't sit right with people, because a lot of what He taught went the opposite directions from their traditional way of thinking. They couldn't fathom that what He was saying about Himself was true. "How dare he speak of himself that way", they chose not to accept Him. They would follow Him as long as He was doing things for them. They sat and listened to Him teach while He was healing their sick, they ate the food that He miraculously gave them, but when He started to teach the hard to swallow stuff, the stuff that was hard to imagine as true, or took them away from what they thought was right, they turned their backs on Him. We do this a lot don't we. I remember hearing someone say to me once that they don't believe everything that the bible says. WHAT?!? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This is a person who called themselves a devout Christian. But this isn't their fault, they listen to their feelings, that is what they did. They read some stuff they didn't like because they felt that it challenged some of the stuff they were doing in their lives, or in the lives of love ones and thought they would just choose not to accept it. This is what we so often do, we feel like this is wanting us to change who we are. We don't want to have to sacrifice who we are, who we have made ourselves to become. It is natural to shy away from change, to be scared of being someone that is different from the things that we know. "Does this mean I have to stop...?","I don't have to change _______ , do I?" We fear change, we hate change, we can't accept it in our natural state. Because of this natural reaction to change, people have perverted the truth. People have changed the Bible's teachings to fit their lifestyle. They begin to fool themselves, or choose to follow a teaching that doesn't require them to change. I would have to say that if there is a teaching that doesn't require who you are to change, then I would suggest that you re-evaluate yourself and really look to see if change is in fact what you need. I would say that we all need change, we all need to become different people than we are. "I can't change, I have been this way for too long now." I know. This is true, YOU can't change, but the great part about all of this is all you have to do is recognize that you can't and submit yourself to the forever changing and saving power that is Jesus Christ. The chances are that there are a lot of things that need to be changed about all of us, but the difference between me and some others that I know, is that I am willing to allow Jesus to change those things about me. I know that I am not perfect and that once He changes one thing there will be something else that needs to be changed, and I am okay with that. I am ready for Jesus to change who I am everyday for the rest of my life, to break away the peaces of rock that formed the person who I was, and carve in me a new life, making me a new creation. One that does not crave the things I once did, a creation that is free from the bondage of "comfort" that I fell under. I am ready for the things I am currently comfortable with to be uncomfortable to me. I don't want to be in a comfort zone, I want to be in Christ, where I am always changing and being prepared to be comfortable in the place He is making for me. " 60On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" 61Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? 62What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit[e] and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." 66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. 67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. 68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:60-68We to often hear a tough teaching that hits us right where we are, and makes us get up out of our comfort zone, and choose to walk away, to turn our backs. We chose to follow what makes us comfortable, not willing to accept the teaching God has given us in His perfect word. Where do we go? We go to a place where no change is required. Where should we go? I mean, Jesus has the words that leads to eternal life. Where else is there to go?

No comments: