Thursday, September 13, 2007

doing his work cont.

September 7, 2007 - Friday
doing His work cont.
Here in Port St. Lucie, as a lot of you probably know, there is this guy who stands on the corner of U.S. 1 and Jennings road with a megaphone, a big cross, and a Bible. What he does for about, huh, I don't know a few hours every day is preach to all the stopped traffic at that busy intersection. A lot of people pass by jokingly honking at him, and a lot of people make fun of him behind his back. "Oh, that guy is crazy." "What a weirdo." "What a loser."
Well, that weirdo's name is Smokey, and today I met him. I've seen him out there, wow, for as long as I can remember here in PSL. I've always admired the dedication it takes to do something like that. So today I decided after work I would go over to his corner, and I would give him an invitation to our churches launch service on Sunday. As I drive up to the corner I almost hit him walking across the street to the Deny's right there. So I quickly whip into the parking lot at Deny's and go in. There he is sitting at the bar drinking a cup of coffee. I walked right up to him and shook his hand introducing myself, I said "Can I join you?" "Please do" he replied. So I sat. I said "well, I've seen you there for years and have always wondered, what's your story, if you don't mind me asking.", "It's a long one" he said laughing. I replied " I've Got the time and a cup of coffee, so if you don't mind I'm here to listen.".
As he is sitting there telling his story, I'm sipping my cup of coffee and I can't help but notice his eyes. Looking at his eyes while he talked and drank his coffee, you could see around his weathered face and slightly squinted eyes, he looked like he had been through a lot, but looking through the weathered face surrounding his eyes actually into his eyes, there was great peace. As I sit there just absorbing what he said like a three year old in front of the wiggles on tv, looking at his face and the raspy sound of his voice I felt a great sense of comfort. It felt like I was sitting there having a cup of coffee with one of the apostles. He spoke of Jesus like he was a close personal friend of His.
Then I realized, he is. We all are close personal friends to Jesus. That's what it is all about. Building your relationship with Christ and getting to know him. So that you can be close personal friends with him, and in doing so letting him know you. It is written in Romans chapter 8:16,17; 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
We are co-heirs to God's glory... Wow! We are God's children, and Jesus is the son of God. I get to walk side by side with Christ Jesus, the one who has been given all authority, in heaven, on earth, and under the earth. If that's not but for the grace of God then I don't know what is. If that's the case then how can we justify getting angry about the things we don't have, or the things we lose here on earth? Considering we are co-heirs to the glory to God. What we have been given is far greater than anything we could ever imagine wanting or having in this life time. We are co-heirs with Christ Jesus, of the glory of God the Father, creator of all things, All mighty,AWESOME, WONDERFUL,BEAUTIFUL,ALL POWERFUL, in who's likeness we were created. How can anything, any car, any boat, any house.... ANYTHING, be better than that. Man, it can't. So in everything we do may the glory be given to God the Father of all things in the name of the Holy Son Christ Jesus, Amen.
Notice I didn't tell his story. If your interested in hearing it I challenge you to buy him a cup of coffee, and a glass of ice water.
May the peace of Christ Jesus be with you,
Mauricio

No comments: