Sunday, September 16, 2007

One Body, Different, Parts

One of the things that I have noticed around here is that a lot, not all, but a lot of the churches around here don't really do things together. In fact there is quite a bit of maybe not outright and open, but almost a dislike for each other. Bashing each others styles if you will of teaching. This church doesn't like the way the other one does certain things, the members of this church left the other and are bad mouthing it because they didn't like the way the did this. Nonsense like that. I feel like people are not really getting it. I'm not sure that, actually I'm pretty convinced that, that isn't how God wants it to work.

In the last chapter of Matthew, Jesus tells us to take all that He has taught us and go make disciples of the nations. Now, my question is how do we do that if we are putting down the other churches? Especially if they are trying to do the same thing. I would think that it would work better if we would all unite and use our gifts, though different, all given to us by God for that very reason, and work together to do as we were told and make believers out of the nations. I know some would like to believe it, but the army can't win a war by itself, it take all of the armed forces together to do so. One player can't win a basketball game. Wait, I can't use that, Coby Bryant did it. Sorry, a little joke. You get what I'm saying though.

The only way we can actually get the word to the whole world is if we all come together and work as a team, as ONE BODY. We all have our gifts, we were all given them by God to do his work, so we need to accept the gifts of others and use them all together and be more successful. Just because the church down the road does things a little different, doesn't mean they are wrong. After all though they are different gifts they come from the same place, the Spirit of God. And if the Spirit of God is where the gifts come from then how can they be wrong. Lets look at 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines." Now, I'm not only talking about the buildings when I say "church", I mean the people. I don't care whether you meet in a Church building or in a house, we are the church. So when you get together wherever you are instead of gossiping and speaking ill of another believer and their style, or gift, you should be thinking of a way to use the gifts of others and yours together to do what was told to us to do.

All I'm saying is be careful, because if there are people meeting together and giving glory to God. No matter how, if they are giving glory to Him then you haven't the right to judge them, because know that, we can't praise Him, worship Him, or even pray to Him without being led by the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. So remember that the spirit will never do it wrong, and if the other guy is led by the Spirit then you especially as a man has no authority to say otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mauricio,

Thank you for your blogs. I can see that you are very tuned in to God's voice even in the simple things which you experience each day.

This is a wonderful trait. I hope to cultivate this more in my own life.

I appreciated the comment you left on my blog as well. I encourage you to continue to share your thoughts through your blog page. I found each of your posts to be warm and genuine. My prayer for you is that God use this for his good purposes. (2 Thessalonians 1:11)

For Jesus,

Gary Cleveland

Carl said...

Mauricio,

I finally caught up on reading your blogs. I appreciate your vulnerablity, and your love for our Lord.

Dennie, I appreciate the encouragement and your insights.

Concerning the unity of the Body. Y'all know I have spent a large portion of my adult life working toward unity in the Body of Christ. I have realized in the last couple of years that I have been focused in the wrong direction. During all the time I have been striving to make His Body one, I have been focused on "UNITY". I finally learned that when He prayed for our unity in John 17, that prayer was in fact answered! I don't have to answer it! Paul very clearly said that there is "one body" (Eph. 4:4).

The Body of Christ is united. In fact, the Body of Christ is One! I am part of that Body if I am in Christ. Every person who is in Christ is part of that Body. We are One in Him!!

All we need to do is act like it.

That's all.

I can't do it! He can in me! I can in Him! We can do it...in Him!

Our focus must not be UNITY...Our focus must be HIM!

Love ya bud. Keep doing what He wants you to. I am proud of you.
Give my love to your girls.

Dad