Sunday, September 23, 2007

Faith

Today at church, Billy (our pastor) called me up in front of the congregation for somewhat of an interview. He wanted to tell the people of Whispering Pines what was going on in my life, and the door that has been opened to me for a chance at some incredible ministry. I will be organizing after school activities, bible study, get togethers for the community, events... Basically getting this multi-housing community together and introduce them to Christ. The overall goal is to eventually plant a church using their clubhouse. Anyway when he gets me up there and is talking to the congregation explaining how this all came about. God speaks to me, and tells me, "I know it's scary, and you have no idea what to expect or do, but hold my hand and we will walk through this door together." Ironically after church, Billy hands me a piece of paper with the study material for our Tuesday night bible study that I co-teach. The topic, Faith.


What is Faith? The bible describes it in Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see." God tells me "Hold my hand and we will go through this door together" "Have Faith in Me" He says, God is telling me don't let the fact that you are scared, the fact that you don't know what to expect stop you from walking through that door. See, I know that just because God has opened that door for me doesn't mean that when I walk through it, it will be all peaches and cream, blue skies and rainbows, a nice little walk in the park. This door God has opened isn't going to lead to some place where all is good in His eyes, He is putting me in a place where he needs work done. In Matthew 9:12 Jesus said " it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." That just tells me that when He sends us to do work He sends us to a place where evil is strong. Not only strong, but ready for battle. God is sending us into a place where evil has found a home, and into that home we go to bring God into it and "flip" it. If you have ever seen that TV program flip that house, where they buy a house renovate it and sell it, then you know what I'm talking about. That's it though, He is going to renovate that apartment complex. The coolest thing is that He plans to use me as the project supervisor.

This whole thing about faith got me thinking about the story of David and Goliath. A young boy, a servant to Saul, and the watcher of his fathers sheep, was sent to the battlegrounds of the Israelites and the Philistines to take some things to his brothers and bring back word of them to his father. When he gets there they are both lining up in the battle formations, so David runs up to the battle lines and talks to his brothers, as he is talking to them this huge giant comes up from behind the enemy lines and lays out this challenge, Israel should send out the one man to fight him and if he should win the Philistines would serve Israel. David hears this and is like, "WHAT?" Did you hear what this guy said?" He sees that no one will stand up to this challenge and all are scared. So he kind of asks around to find out whats in it for the guy who kicks this giants butt? Finally he said "I'll do it." So, Saul hears word that some one is going to do this and calls for him. He gets there and Saul says, "What are you crazy, your a little kid and this guy is a giant who has been fighting basically all his life, he'll wreck you." And this is where I have been coming to with all this, you know what he said to Saul? He said, "Dude, Saul, I've been watching my dad's sheep, and when I'm watching them and a lion comes or a bear, and takes one of those sheep I chase him down and hit him, when he drops the sheep they get away, then when the come after me I grab them by the hair and kill them. This big guy will be as easy as one of them, because he is challenging the army of God, and just like when God keeps me safe from the lion and bear, He is going to do the same here, so no worries I got this."


Now that is faith. This guy David is about to fight is over nine feet tall, and by the way the bible describes him in 1 Samuel he wasn't skinny either. David knew that God will deliver this giant to him, he knew that the only armor and weapon he needs is God.

So when God opens the door for me, I will know that evil will be on the other side, and I will face my giant knowing that in the name of Jesus Christ no one, or nothing will be able to harm me, and I will have faith in the Lord to deliver this evil to me so that I might turn on the light and introduce God to the people. I will go into battle as it says to in Ephesians 6: 13-18 "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." I will be ready, and God will do the work all I have to do is let him take me through the steps.

In the name of Christ Jesus our savior, may the love and peace and strength of the Lamb be with you all.

2 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

dude, that was inspiring... I am ready to stand by your side... I have my armor and sword... Let's do this!